CAPITAL PLAN 2020/21 - 2023/24 AND RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE STRATEGIC INVESTMENT GROUP
To consider a report by the Head of Finance and Property (copy attached) to provide Members with an updated Capital Plan including an update on major projects and the Corporate Plan.
The Lead Member for Finance, Performance and Strategic Assets, Councillor Julian Thompson-Hill, introduced Capital Plan 2020/2021 – 2023/2024 Report (previously circulated) to provide members with an updated Capital Plan including an update on major projects and the Corporate Plan.
The full Capital Plan was last reported to Council in February 2020. Monthly updates had been presented to Cabinet. The Estimated Capital Plan was now £42.36m. The plan had been updated since being reported to Cabinet on 16 February 2021.
Councillor Thompson-Hill guided members through the report.
Both Councillor Thompson-Hill and the Head of Finance and Property responded to questions regarding various aspects of the Capital Plan. Main areas of discussion focused on the following:
· The issue of flooding and members asked whether there would be finance available for the projects required to aid flooded areas. It was confirmed that for severe flooding there were Welsh Government funding streams which could be accessed. Some of the defence works around rivers were the responsibility of NRW. The flooding in Ruthin was the responsibility of NRW and not DCC. Both NRW and DCC work together to alleviate issues. Scrutiny had set up a Task and Finish Group to deal with all aspects of flooding.
· Bridge repair works was raised and it was confirmed that there was an allocation of £403,000 for routine work to bridges. The relevant team would prioritise the bridge works which could be delivered. Bridge work was planned and approved on an annual basis.
· The Lead Member for Waste, Transport and the Environment, Councillor Brian Jones, informed members that Welsh Government were putting initiatives in place for funding. The Head of Service was collating a business case to obtain a commitment of up to £4million per year.
Councillor Julian Thompson-Hill proposed to accept the Capital Plan 2020/21 -2023/24 and recommendations of the Strategic Investment group report, seconded by Councillor Hugh Evans.
A vote took place and it was unanimously agreed to accept the report.
(i) Members note the latest position on the 2020/21 element of the Capital Plan and the update on major projects.
(ii) Members support the approval of Cabinet and the recommendation of the Strategic Investment Group as detailed in Appendix 5 and summarised in Appendix 6.
(iii) Members approve the 2021/22 Capital Plan.
(iv) Members approve the Capital Strategy Report for 2021/22 as detailed in Appendix 7.
- Capital Plan Report 23 Feb 21, item 8. PDF 242 KB
- Appendix 1, item 8. PDF 66 KB
- Appendix 2, item 8. PDF 62 KB
- Appendix 3, item 8. PDF 93 KB
- Appendix 4, item 8. PDF 362 KB
- Appendix 5, item 8. PDF 206 KB
- Appendix 6, item 8. PDF 66 KB
- Appendix 7, item 8. PDF 441 KB
- Appendix 8, item 8. PDF 235 KB
- Appendix 9, item 8. PDF 415 KB
- Appendix 10, item 8. PDF 98 KB
- Appendix 11, item 8. PDF 87 KB
- Appendix 12, item 8. PDF 88 KB
- Appendix 13, item 8. PDF 87 KB
- Appendix 14, item 8. PDF 99 KB
- Appendix 15, item 8. PDF 80 KB